lost Windows XP password – For users who use XP OS meet problem with lost password, they will have to find out solutions to reset Windows XP password. Now, there will be some collected tips listed.
Tips 1: Use a Win XP recovery disk to reset password
Note：This will only be available before forgotten Windows XP password.
Creating a Win XP password reset disk is the easiest and convenient way to help you reset XP password, while, and is always the most unfamiliar method for PC users. Now, if you forgot your Windows XP password, please do as the following steps to create a recovery disk, which will help you later or earlier.
- Start –> Control Panel -> User Accounts.
- Select the user you need to set a disk.
- Choose “Prevent a forgotten password” on the left of Related Tasks.
- Prepare a blank floppy disk and then do the following operation as the Forgotten Password Wizard.
- When the progress indicator displays 100% complete, click “Next” and then Finish.
- Remove the floppy disk from PC and keep it.
Then, whoever owns the created disk, he/she can access your account and own the account right to do something. Of course, you can recover lost Windows XP password with the disk!
Tips 2: Logon with the built-in Administrator account
In Safe Mode (press F8 when PC starts), you can logon with the built-in Administrator user account and reset your lost password with this account if you didn’t change its password or can access it.
Tips 3: Use another accounts with administrator rights
If there is still another user account which you remember has administrative privileges, you can opt it for Windows XP password recovery.
Restart system and boot the system into Safe Mode. Click on the icon
for the administrators account at the Account Log on Screen. Once system has booted to the desktop, you reset password with following steps.
- Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.
- Double click Local Users and Groups -> folder Users.
- Right click the account user name which password was lost, then click Set Password.
- Reset password – keep New Password and Confirm Password blank.
- After finished, restart PC and login.
Tips 4: Reset Windows XP password with free Ophcrack
You can use Ophcrack to recover passwords within 14 characters. For you have to download a 496MB ISO file, it will spend your much time.
Tips 5: Burn a CD/DVD to recover lost Windows XP password
With professional password recovery software, you just need burn an ISO image file to the CD/DVD on an accessible PC. Take Windows Password Recovery Basic as example, you can finish Windows XP password recovery with 3 easy steps:
- Download Windows Password Recovery Basic and burn the ISO file to a CD/DVD.
- Boot the target computer from CD/DVD.
- Recover lost Windows XP password with the burned CD/DVD.