Windows 7, like it’s predecessors XP and Vista lets you choose whether you want to turn on automatic updating or disable it. It is usually recommended to turn on Windows automatic updates as normally they may include important security and vulnerability fixes.
However, sometimes you need to turn automatic updates off in Windows 7, here are the guides:
1. Open Control Panel –> System and Security –> Windows Update.
2. In the left side panel, click ‘Change settings’.
3. In the following screen, under the section ‘Important updates’, click on the drop down menu.
4. You have 4 different choices for configuring automatic updates:
Install updates automatically (recommended)
Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.
Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.
Never check for updates (not recommended).
In case you want to turn off automatic updates, we advise you to choose the third option so that Windows checks for updates. You can then choose to install only those which are required for your PC.
5. Click OK to save your changes.